Finally we have a new release of the firmware. Your CraftBot's firmware can be updated using CraftPrint.

Firmware changes:

• Constant acceleration and deceleration and motion planner for avoiding slams at corners (hat tip: Matthew L).
  • Improved temperature control, should reach and keep temperature faster, with less initial overshoot.
  • Smoother (accelerated) moves when pausing/resuming.
The parameters of the M1203 instruction are changed. The A and D are now in millimeters per seconds squared and values between 1 and 99 are ignored, so you can keep using old gcode files, if you want. The default is M1203 A2000 D2000 F240

The M1300 and M1301 instructions have one extra parameter, F, meaning "Fan Correction". We have noticed, that the greatest error source for both the head and bed heater is the object fan, and the power settles to a fixed change after some time, so it looked like a good candidate for compensation. If the fan switches on or off, then the heating reacts immediately by that amount.

psanyi, thank you for your nice work!

December 11, 2015

Janos Janos
Admin
558 posts

21 replies

Thanks Janos..

that said I am almost afraid to update the firmware after the last fiasco with craftprint (more so for us NON WINDOWS users) ..

December 11, 2015

Bixit219 Bixit219
Superstar
1451 posts

We will enhance the firmware update process to a more reliable "higher" level method and we will use the current one as fallback method if something goes wrong. The current one is relies on the fact that we are using the low level SAM-BA programming method used by the Atmel ARM micro-controllers. Erasing the firmware from both boards and retrying the firmware update procedure will solve the problem that may happen at the LCD update.

December 11, 2015

Janos Janos
Admin
558 posts

@Janos
Firmware hiccups seemed to have trouble with LCD firmware update. Current update sequence is main board first and then LCD.

Would changing the sequence to LCD first and then main board help minimize update failures?

December 11, 2015

3DForms 3DForms
Superstar
1774 posts

I updated the new firmware on my two CraftBots without any problem.

My laptop: Windows 10 64bit, CraftPrint 1.03 beta #2022

December 12, 2015

3DForms 3DForms
Superstar
1774 posts

Fantastic! I will give it a go Janos, the pre-release of this update has been wonderful, so much smoother.

Everyone updating make sure to remove the "M1203 A88 D66 F1200" command from the start gcode as it's no longer needed.

Edit:
Also i'm not sure if it's part of the cause of peoples updating issues but the Craftprint terminal will show the message for a moment instructing the user to restart the printer after updating the main board but before it updates the LCD, make sure to NOT restart the printer the until the LCD updates and comes back on line.

December 12, 2015

Matthew L Matthew L
Exalted
703 posts

Im really hesitant to update since I dont have easy access to an "actual" windows machine now .. and previously I had used a windows in a VM without problems but the last time was such a debacle.

are folks using the old craftprint or the new one?

December 12, 2015

Bixit219 Bixit219
Superstar
1451 posts

For anyone wondering who isnt a windows user.. the Virtual Machine updating still doesn't work. In the end I had to find a and borrow a windows machine and use a paper clip to reset the printer (it bricked like the last firmware update) .. (also had to press the erase/reset buttons on the LCD to get it to come back to life and complete the update)

December 12, 2015

Bixit219 Bixit219
Superstar
1451 posts

Bixit, I was able to update using a VM, Parallels. But was the same nightmare of the last update.

December 12, 2015

Angelo Venosa Angelo Venosa
Honored
267 posts

Angelo Venosa wrote:Bixit, I was able to update using a VM, Parallels. But was the same nightmare of the last update.

Interesting .. I am using VMWARE .. it was a failure like last time .. maybe they work differently .. can you summarize your steps with Parallels .. I presume hitting the reset/erase buttons was part of that..????

December 12, 2015

Bixit219 Bixit219
Superstar
1451 posts

1. Use an old Craftware version for updating (1.10 worked for me). Newer versions tend to fail at LCD update.
2. This is what we were waiting for! :D It's smooth and quiet, acceleration finally works properly, what an improvement; Craftbot is now officially a mature product!

December 13, 2015

Franci Kopac Franci Kopac
Honored
338 posts

Hi Bixit,

I reset the firmware again just to be sure how this worked.
This time was also better. Upgraded on the first shot.

Windows 10 on Parallels.
El Capitan 10.11.2
iMac 3,5GHZ i7 32GB RAM

Craftprint 1.03

Clicked upgrade firmware
Pressed the two buttons beneath USB cable input
Pressed the two buttons on LCD PCB

Clicked install firmware

Voilá!

Bixit219 wrote:
Angelo Venosa wrote:Bixit, I was able to update using a VM, Parallels. But was the same nightmare of the last update.

Interesting .. I am using VMWARE .. it was a failure like last time .. maybe they work differently .. can you summarize your steps with Parallels .. I presume hitting the reset/erase buttons was part of that..????

December 14, 2015

Angelo Venosa Angelo Venosa
Honored
267 posts

Ok thanks. Will try that method next time. Though the VM I used was win8. Not sure if that matters.

December 14, 2015

Bixit219 Bixit219
Superstar
1451 posts

had also Problems updating the firmware.
I had no succes until I've changed the usb cable.
I presume that the usb Connection on printer side, maybe socket or plug could be the problem.

December 14, 2015

Martin Forster Martin Forster
Beginner
3 posts

Hi,

This procedure from Angelo worked for me on win 10

Craftprint 1.03

Clicked upgrade firmware
Pressed the two buttons beneath USB cable input
Pressed the two buttons on LCD PCB

December 19, 2015

fonno fonno
Beginner
16 posts

Confirmed that the latest version of CraftWare and Crafprint won't update properly. I used 1,10 and it worked.

December 22, 2015

EMRE YAZGIN EMRE YAZGIN
Beginner
27 posts

I just want to add .. I just tried this tonight with a "fresh download" of craftware/craftprint "CraftWare_1.13_and_CraftPrint_1.03_beta_win_installer.exe" into a VMWARE session and it seemed to work fine, no need to manually press reset buttons or anything..

February 1, 2016

Bixit219 Bixit219
Superstar
1451 posts

I was pleased to see that the "issues" with "Vase Mode" (spiral) printing appear to be resolved!

New firmware: 8249

February 3, 2016

Scott Booker Scott Booker
Friendly
143 posts

@scott Isn't it still printing layer on layer?

February 4, 2016

Marcus Malmberg Marcus Malmberg
Revered
518 posts

No... for the most part that is a "true" spiral print without "one Z move per layer" and no "zipper".

I used Simplify3D to generate the GCODE. "Vase mode" is a S3D feature.

Earlier versions of the CB firmware would not properly execute the GCODE and create a proper print.

Marcus Malmberg wrote:@scott Isn't it still printing layer on layer?

February 4, 2016

Scott Booker Scott Booker
Friendly
143 posts

What does the F parameter for the M1203 command do? Is it also specified in physical units?

Edit: It seems there has been a discussion about it in this thread

March 3, 2016

Moredread Moredread
Beginner
7 posts

Moredread wrote:What does the F parameter for the M1203 command do? Is it also specified in physical units?

It is the change of speed at the corner, the unit is the same, as the feedrate in G0/G1: millimeters per minute. The head slows down with the deceleration specified by the D parameter, changes direction, then speeds up with the acceleration specified by the A parameter.
New firmware: 8249
The sharper the turn, the more the head has to slow down for a set amount of speed vector change.

March 3, 2016

psanyi psanyi
Exalted
958 posts
To start a discussion or reply to a post please Login or Create an account.