Improved resolution, easy fix for cylinders and spheres in Tinkercad

It is often easy to see if a rounded 3d object is made with Tinkercad. They are rather polygons than round objects.

Luckily there is a way to make this better! First, start a new project and locate "Your shape generators" in the side menu. Press "New shape generator", let's start with the cylinder.

A new pane opens with some code, but first we better press settings and name this cylinder so we know it is different from the old ugly cylinder.

Then we will look at the code again where the magic happens so press main.js. There we will locate a section where "ndivs" are calculated. Give these ndivs a boost by adding "3*" to the calculation! Don't forget to save.

Now, you should see your new shape in the side menu. This may take a while to load but it is ok. Give your shape a golden star and you'll have it at the top among your favourite shapes. You can use it in any new or old Tinkercad project.

Now, if you make your own hi-res sphere, or other shape, I recommend that you only use "2*" for multiplier to start with, because you might run in to performance problems otherwise.

Sometimes the side bar or the shape generator bits are a bit buggy, and stuff might load forever. I usually just refresh the page then.

There are of course tons of stuff you can do with shape generators. I am not a programmer but I am happy I found out this quite easy solution to one of the weak spots in Tinkercad. I hope someone else finds this trick as useful as I do!

January 28, 2016

Marcus Malmberg Marcus Malmberg
Revered
518 posts

1 reply

Ah nice thank you .. I just love tinkercad .. its almost perfect.. I just wish it had a few more advanced features..

January 29, 2016

Bixit219 Bixit219
Superstar
1451 posts
To start a discussion or reply to a post please Login or Create an account.