Hello Everyone,

Here is the latest version of the firmware which should work with the latest CraftPrint 1.06. We have made a couple minor bugfixes and improvements.

Any feedback greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

October 18, 2016

Janos Janos
Admin
601 posts

39 replies

Any details/changelog available?
I have also just noticed that the changelog regarding craftware/craftprint at https://craftunique.com/craftware isn't up-to-date.

October 18, 2016

Stefan Stefan
Friendly
146 posts

My short, (initial) feedback:

As usual, updating via Craftprint fails. The main board updated successfully (after a few tries), but the HMI fails every time. To get that fixed, I have to use the "unofficial" Crafttool. Without that tool I would have had a very expensive brick on my desk...

After updating, the old settings were lost. No issue really, and I guess it is intentional.

Then comes wifi. Uploading is still unuseably slow, I uploaded a 720 kB file, and that took a whopping 5 minutes and 7 seconds. Could you please share which speeds you expect that I should get?

And why is the actual version number not 9616, as the thread title says?

October 18, 2016

mroek mroek
Revered
535 posts

And also, trying to upload files with spaces (possibly also with some other special characters) in the file name just pops up an error that the pen drive is not present. I could live with that, but it should work. Doesn't really matter, with the current upload speed, though.

October 18, 2016

mroek mroek
Revered
535 posts

The version number was a typo here in the forum, so I fixed it. We still need to work on the WiFi speed improvement. This release aims to work with the latest CraftPrint 1.06 WiFi controller part. Changelog will be added to the CraftWare page.

October 18, 2016

Janos Janos
Admin
601 posts

Hello, begin october2016 I bought a Craftbot Plus at the webshop of Bart ter Haar, initially upgraded with the Drylin bearings and Bart's hotend.
After a pleasant and deep (thx Bart) introduction course at Bart's office, I immediately could print custom toolings for my Marlin/Ramps/Octoprint based cnc machine.
Since I'm interested in remote control, Bart asked me to review a Wifi module, which comes as a backplane replacement on top (piggy-backed) of the LCD-module.
Unfortunately the original spacers were to large (approx 2+ mm) for the pin-header, so I used smaller standard spacers + plastic nuts (not 3D printed yet :)) to allow the connection.
Caution is needed because the time belt runs very near to the lower spacers.

After tests with Craftprint v1.05 (CP), which all failed, I upgraded yesterday to Craftprint 1.06, including a firmware upgrade on the printer side.
I'm using a strong password on my Wifi router but the LCD input exceeding 15 chars freezes the printer. This is still the case after the firmware upgrade, but with CP 1.06 you're able to configure strong credentials on the desktop.
The Craftbot+Wifi-module is not automatically recognized as a valid printer; in CP manual select mode you can choose both AP-adress(192.168.4.1) as well the client adress (DHCP).
I could not connect properly to AP-adress with CP, but with the client-adress you can upload (be patient), select gcode files on the usb-storage and control the print process.
Alas, CP doesn't store the IP adresses, so you need to remember the DHCP-adress, which could change afterall.
In terminal mode Gcodes were neither executed nor feedback was given. Is there any documentation?
The user interface of CP in Wifi-mode is slightly modest comparing to the USB-online mode. The Android app however gives more functionality like status, heating-control and file-upload, also from my Synology NAS.

Some wishes:
- use of user-defined static IP-adresses and remember this after closing CP
- speedup the upload process
- after uploading with CP give feedback. The LCD-menu does so with a check sign, but hey I'm online.
- documentation of the terminal commands / Gcodes.
- documentation on the web interface\API

October 19, 2016

AadJ AadJ
Beginner
3 posts

Thanks for this update, but unfortunately there's a major issue on my side with it.

From the upgrade, my Craftbot is unable to read any USB key which is pretty boring when your Craftbot is not connected to a computer.

Let me explain, the button on the main menu is highlighted when I plug the USB. I can click on it but after I have the screen to navigate but it is completely empty with all the button in opacity. For who is going to ask, yes my USB have some files on it :D

I'm using the exactly same USB as before the update plus I tried another USB key. Both in the different formats OSX, NTFS, FAT32 and nothing… Also, I'm not using cheap USB Sandisk ULTRA and CORSAIR FLASH VOYAGER GT. Did the update firmware 3 times to be sure that it was not an upload/installation problem but looks like this update killed the USB!

Is there someone having the same issue? Am I an isolated case? Is there a way to downgrade the Craftbot?

Can't use my Craftbot until this problem is fixed, I'm sad :/

Thanks

October 30, 2016

Thomas Thomas
Friendly
86 posts

Some news on my issue.

I tried to downgrade the firmware of 4 versions and the problem is still here. I don't really know how but I found a topic on the Apple forum where a guy needed to format is USB in FAT-16 for his Ultimaker 2 for X reason… Then I tried to do it through some terminal tricks because it's not a common format. You can't access it via the normal disk utility path… Anyway, I did it, put a file on it and it works!

I just would like to know how is it possible, from one version to one other of the firmware, that the printer is not able to read FAT-32, HFS+, NTFS as it was capable before the upgrade?

It's looks like a USB killing format update because even with downgrade FAT-32, HFS+, NTFS are not working at all anymore!

Thank you

October 30, 2016

Thomas Thomas
Friendly
86 posts

I've just checked with a 16GB USB flash, mine works with FAT32. It will not work with the fancier filesystems.

October 31, 2016

psanyi psanyi
Exalted
999 posts

@psanyi You are very lucky if yours still works :D

I have no idea how such things happened o_O It's a crazy thing that the Monday everything was working then an update of firmware and nothing working anymore. At some point, I'm really disappointed by this situation because is just a non-sense thingy!

Did you try HFS+ and NTFS on your machine by any chance?

Thanks

November 1, 2016

Thomas Thomas
Friendly
86 posts

No point trying, because FAT16 and FAT32 are the only filesystems the firmware can handle. I tried FAT32, because I know, that it is supposed to work, but never tried before. My 3D printing pen drive is just 2GB, and I think that is still FAT16.

November 1, 2016

psanyi psanyi
Exalted
999 posts

I tried both: FAT16 and FAT32 are working as supposed with me.

November 2, 2016

Bartaar Bartaar
Service partner
1686 posts

Thank you, this is the only version of Craftprint that allows me to install older firmware. I seem to have a problem with my CB original with 1.4 pcb (it keeps stopping mid print, I can only save it by pausing and resuming before it cools down). I need to try oder firmware in oder to see if thats the issue. All other version of Craftprint gave me the option to load custom firmware, but this is the first time I can install my own file instead of automatically installing latest version from Craftunique.

December 11, 2016

Chad Meister Chad Meister
Friendly
150 posts

will this work with a craftbot original, with an upgraded PSU?

December 11, 2016

Morten Bondo Morten Bondo
Beginner
5 posts

I have a craftbot original with 240w LED PSU and it worked just fine as with Craftbot +

December 11, 2016

Friendly
150 posts

are you sure, theres no issue, with this firmware?

this post concerns me a bit:
https://craftunique.com/forums/view-thread/2123
Chad Meister wrote:I have a craftbot original with 240w LED PSU and it worked just fine as with Craftbot +

December 11, 2016

Beginner
5 posts

My bad, I was talking about craftprint. Yes I had problems with Craftbot original and this new firmware. I was unable to roll back firmware until this version of craftprint, it now let's me load and install more stable firmware (9606)

December 11, 2016

Friendly
150 posts

Crap.. just updated.. Hopefully i wont have any issues.. but lets see..

December 11, 2016

Beginner
5 posts

To start over press the reset and erase buttons on both pcb and LCD board. Once cleared, use the newest craftprint 1.06 to load and install 9606 firmware. I just did this yesterday no problem.

December 11, 2016

Friendly
150 posts

Will this issues be addressed by Craftunique soon? its been an ongoing error in the past firmwares as well!?

@Chad, Just began a print before your comment. if it fails, i will roll back.

December 11, 2016

Beginner
5 posts

The new firmware caused my prints to have random success rate. Sometimes be successful if they were under an hour via USB, but if it was a long 4 hour+ print it would stop more likely at a random time. The extruder cools and the only option is to pause and resume but doing so would knock over the half made print being a fail print. Also some graphical bugs like odd colors instead of yellow and no option to move any axis using LCD. This firmware was an odd experience.

December 11, 2016

Friendly
150 posts

Hi There,

I just bought a CraftBot plus, installed craftware, updated it to 1.14, went to "print", update firmware from server and.... Error updating main board: Crc error loading firmware...
Yesterday it was working, how can I take the printer out of update mode and fix this ?

Many thanks,
Marc.

December 21, 2016

Titinger Titinger
Beginner
2 posts

same problem here. reset the board bring same problem.

Titinger wrote:Hi There,

I just bought a CraftBot plus, installed craftware, updated it to 1.14, went to "print", update firmware from server and.... Error updating main board: Crc error loading firmware...
Yesterday it was working, how can I take the printer out of update mode and fix this ?

Many thanks,
Marc.

December 22, 2016

Husni Faiz Husni Faiz
Beginner
17 posts

I installed new software and now no printer.
First "the program in this Craftbot has been cleared, then "Error updating main board: Crc error loading firmware".

What should I do now?

I downloaded the unofficial Craftbot Tool, now it is printing again.

December 22, 2016

Wim Spijker Wim Spijker
Beginner
1 posts

Wim Spijker wrote:I downloaded the unofficial Craftbot Tool, now it is printing again.

I did the same, and went to https://craftbot.smurfy-net.de/ and pick a firmware file from there. Seems to be operational now.

December 22, 2016

Titinger Titinger
Beginner
2 posts

As more people (and me) have the same problem, I updated the CraftTool.rar to contain the latest firmware (9657), although the CraftBots 2 seem to have even newer FW as 9760/5.

The download of CraftTool as some info and a Firmware archive can be found here.

New firmware released: 9657

Bart

December 22, 2016

Bartaar Bartaar
Service partner
1686 posts

Janos wrote:The version number was a typo here in the forum, so I fixed it. We still need to work on the WiFi speed improvement. This release aims to work with the latest CraftPrint 1.06 WiFi controller part. Changelog will be added to the CraftWare page.

@Janos, how is the work on the wifi speed going? The quote above is from Oct 18., so it is 2.5 months ago. That's quite a bit of time, so I would have expected something to happen within that timeframe.

January 4, 2017

mroek mroek
Revered
535 posts

After Update today, the temperatur can´t overite any more..
and by the print the temperatur gows don 10 degree and more as in gcode is

any idea?

January 10, 2017

Bernd Späth Bernd Späth
Beginner
11 posts

After Update today, the temperatur can´t overite any more..

at Bernd: If you press the settings button on the LCD, is that indeed firmware 9657?

January 12, 2017

Bartaar Bartaar
Service partner
1686 posts

actualy firmware, today i have done an reset and erase, and new flashing and is the same

January 12, 2017

Bernd Späth Bernd Späth
Beginner
11 posts

So while printing you change the temperature 'on the fly' and it won't change to that value?
And even when not changing the value it won't hold the temperature?
Which extruder temp do you use? Which settings for the fans? 100%?
You use the original hotend?

January 12, 2017

Bartaar Bartaar
Service partner
1686 posts

The temperatur in gcode is 225 degree, no edit, after 3-4 min. It fall down -10 degree.
I print the same file all 2-3 days from usb. Nohting changed.

I use the original extruder
Fan's after layer 2 100%

January 12, 2017

Bernd Späth Bernd Späth
Beginner
11 posts

It shouldn't do that ;-)
Is the the temperature steady after that, so not changing after that 10 degrees fall?
I mean that it's max 1 degree changing during print?
What happens if you tun the fan's off (with the on the fly tweak)?

Can you sent the Gcode / stl / profile to me please? info@craftbot.nl.

I had about the same as you, but with a Vulcano hotend mod. The cooling fans had to much influence on the Vulcano. After wrapping it in Kapton, it was capable to keep the wanted temp.

January 12, 2017

Bartaar Bartaar
Service partner
1686 posts

The problem is after flashing new firmware.

6-7 month before i have an orher probkem with the heating element, the wire was broken direct on the element.... but this is not the same problem

I will send you the gcode head, there is the parameters in.

January 12, 2017

Bernd Späth Bernd Späth
Beginner
11 posts

@ Bernd: BTW: after your answers / eliminating obvious stuff, I have no idea yet / I don't think you are doing something wrong. So after receiving your info and I don't see something odd / trying to print it, I suppose you have to ask support of Craftunique....

January 13, 2017

Bartaar Bartaar
Service partner
1686 posts

Yes i have contact the support

Like 100'tm, i have more problems... with this printer. Wirh rods, bearings, headend, extruder motor, gt2, print plate....... all 3-4 weeks, new problems... i am in contact about 1 year with support....20% of firmware news from me...
I have now many ideas.. for an double extruder in the same volume of the old...

The rods are bending in use and canted problems

January 13, 2017

Bernd Späth Bernd Späth
Beginner
11 posts

I'm sorry to hear that!
I'm a reseller for CraftBots (www.craftbot.nl) mostly for fun (the rest of the time I'm an architect) and have sold more than 60 CB's. There were several problems, depending the batches, but most of the time limited to one problem per CraftBot. (like failing cables, Z wobbling Z axis). All solved ok with CraftUnique: they delivered the parts and I repaired.
So your bad luck is new for me actually. The earlier problems with the cable chain are solved with the new flat cable. The only weak point left are the bearings of the XY movement IMO.
If CraftUnique can't help you, contact me directly, as you shouldn't have that much problems.

BTW: I have a kit for dual extrusion designed for the CB, based on the E3D chimera and cyclops, but it only works when the firmware of CU will address the second extruder. That's not the case yet, so we have to wait.
Bart

January 13, 2017

Bartaar Bartaar
Service partner
1686 posts

I an in contact with zlot, but i have updated with igus and bronzesinter besrings...

The original bestings are bad, yesterday i have changed my z-axis beating to igus.. z-axis now good

But x and y axis i have bending and canted problems.. i send you tomorrow any videos

January 13, 2017

Bernd Späth Bernd Späth
Beginner
11 posts

Ok. Another possibility is of course you have expectations beyond reasonable ;-)
Just teasing you ;-)

January 13, 2017

Bartaar Bartaar
Service partner
1686 posts

ok the error is, when i do the material fan in the Printer Software in off possition, the hotend works great....

January 13, 2017

Bernd Späth Bernd Späth
Beginner
11 posts
To start a discussion or reply to a post please Login or Create an account.