Dear beta testers and CB users!

I have created this thread because we would like to see the feedback of the beta test results of our new CB firmware.
For those who did not receive email from us concerning beta testing but still want to participate in the process please opt-in and I will send you the link to the binary. We would like to release this version on the next coming Monday if everything goes as planned. All of our firmware releases works on _every_ CraftBot machines including the oldest Indiegogo ones!

Thank you!

Changes in firmware 10155:

New features:

• language menu has been changed
  • more languages available (Arabic, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Turkish)
  • settings can be changed by arrows:

• fan
    • temperature
    • sound

• Axes menu: grayable icons (home, axes)
  • In-print menu:

• F value visible
    • necessary/total filament usage
    • actual/adjusted temperatures (head, bed)
    • actual/maximum Z value
    • maximum number of the layers (L)
    • feed setting changed from % to multiplier values
    • red letters indicating the heating operations

• Maintenance warning message after every 900 hours

Bugfixes:

• Wifi connect
  • Looking for Wifi networks
  • WIFI SSID bug fixing
  • Faster LCD refresh
  • Fan lock bug during printing
  • Pause at next layer
  • Fan settings can be changed during pause
  • Temperature menu

February 9, 2017

Janos Janos
Admin
601 posts

41 replies

I have a Craftbot+ with the wire cable chain, should I use this on my printer ?

Just checking...

February 9, 2017

BV BV
Honored
308 posts

Yes, we are using the same code base for all CraftBot printers. Even the oldest one is supported. Firmware detects hw versions by checking pin configuration and enables additional features accordingly.

February 9, 2017

Janos Janos
Admin
601 posts

My initial feedback before printing anything:

Updating via CraftPrint 1.06 didn't work (read timeout). I was hoping it would, since I've replaced my computer since the last time I updated. However, Crafttool worked, as it has done in the past. Why can't the working code from Crafttool be used in Craftprint also? :-)

Connecting to the Craftbot via the app works as before, possibly a bit snappier. File upload speed seems to be about the same as before. From the app I got around 2.6 kB/s, so still unuseable. I noticed that on the file upload screen on the CB itself, the color scheme was a bit strange:

New firmware 10155 beta test feedback

The purple background on parts of the screen looks a bit strange to my eyes, why isn't the background all blue? Or all purple, for that matter?

I also tried connecting via Craftprint over wifi, but it didn't work at all. Manually adding the printer by IP-address (because detection doesn't find it) shows it as offline, which it clearly isn't. This happens also if I reboot the CB without first connecting from the app.

When the CB is started, the case fan runs quite fast for some time before slowing down, even if the machine is cold. I can't remember if this behaviour was also there with the old firmware (at least I think the time for the faster fan speed was shorter). Not really an issue, though. And I might misremember also...

The changes to the settings menu are fine, but I wasn't bothered by the old ones either.

Tonight I'll print some stuff, and look at the new printing menus, which looks like useful improvements (from the description).

February 9, 2017

mroek mroek
Revered
535 posts

We will fix CraftPrint but it is different from the CraftTool because the first is meant to be cross platform using Qt libraries for serial communication, but Atmel's SAMBA isn't tolerant getting larger chunks of data over serial which is the default behaviour of Qt. So when I send packets to the CraftBot using QSerialPort I have to apply large delays between every packet to ensure fragmented communication. Delay isn't a nice practice and it causes troubles on different computers. We just found a computer here that is able to reproduce this problem every time so we will be able to fix it too.

Thank you for your feedback!

February 9, 2017

Janos Janos
Admin
601 posts

Janos wrote:We will fix CraftPrint but it is different from the CraftTool because the first is meant to be cross platform using Qt libraries for serial communication, but Atmel's SAMBA isn't tolerant getting larger chunks of data over serial which is the default behaviour of Qt. So when I send packets to the CraftBot using QSerialPort I have to apply large delays between every packet to ensure fragmented communication. Delay isn't a nice practice and it causes troubles on different computers. We just found a computer here that is able to reproduce this problem every time so we will be able to fix it too.

Thank you for your feedback!

Good to know that you will get CraftPrint to work also. Any comments to any of the other stuff I mentioned, in particular the wifi speed. Do you still believe this will be improved some day?

February 9, 2017

mroek mroek
Revered
535 posts

Is it working on first series (Indiegogo EB) printers also? Or only on CB+?

February 9, 2017

trainmodeller trainmodeller
Honored
207 posts

@mroek, Yes, wifi speed will be improved too. Our new fw engineer just started to work on the firmware recently.

@trainmodeller, On every single CraftBot.

February 9, 2017

Janos Janos
Admin
601 posts

I've now also tested printing, and I like the new info screen quite a bit. I do have some comments, though:

The total number of layers is shown, but why not also include the current layer number? Something like this: [65/121] (to show that the current layer is number 65 of 121).

The end time prediction has been removed. It wasn't terribly useful, so I don't really mind it being removed, but since the space hasn't been filled with anything else, why was it removed?

I have encountered one bug so far, causing the print menu to be empty (as if there was no files on the thumb drive). Removing and reinserting it didn't help, a reboot was needed. However, the "USB PRINT" icon changed state when unplugging/replugging the thumb drive, so it was detecting it's presence.

There is also one other bug that is carried over from the previous version, which is that sometimes when preheating (from the menu), the CB does not beep when it has reached print temperature. I have a habit of preheating before starting the print, and I like this beep, because it reminds me to start the print. However, it doesn't always work, which it should. Not a critical bug, but slightly annoying. I have my CB sound set to "Warnings only".

I'll keep on testing, reporting if I find anything worth mentioning.

February 9, 2017

mroek mroek
Revered
535 posts

Here's another bug:

Look at the "filament left" number, it shows 0.-2-9-8, not really sure how to interpret that...

Not critical, but should be easy to fix. And I just noticed that the time left hasn't been removed, it just seems to not appear until further into the print.

February 9, 2017

mroek mroek
Revered
535 posts

I ran the printer from USB again, guess that doesnt help with the screen while printing.
I think the only thing I got was more languages ? and no kelvin. CB+v1
No problems installing the update.

Not sure how far back the firmware I was using, but the printer acts like it got a tune up now, feels faster at printing and acts like its more responsive.

Printed some very small parts from Craftware and they turned out good with nothing out of the ordinary, next I will try from a memory stick.

February 9, 2017

BV BV
Honored
308 posts

Looking at my last picture, I just realized there is yet another bug. The file has 106 layers, and with 0.2 mm layer height that translates to a total height of 21.2 mm. However, the screen shows 50 mm. I guess that number should be the full height of the model (max Z position), since the number immediately to the left of it is the current Z height.

February 9, 2017

mroek mroek
Revered
535 posts

I have original CB.

I managed to update new FW after several attempts:
- Failed several times (see fig. bellow)
- I had to press two buttons more than 10 sec. to erase main board and restart
- Switched my desktop to notebook and tried again
- Finally managed to update FW using my notebook

Switched back to desktop:
- Tried new menu and moving to head on X-Y
- Started a new print and paused immediately at the beginning
- The head looks like moving snapier
- All of a sudden, touch panel disappeared!
- I was not able make touch panel live again

Re-flashed old FW:
- I had to press two buttons more than 10 sec. to erase main board and restart
- This time desktop PC was able to flash the old FW from server

I now stick to old FW, while the new one is too shaky on my CB :-(

February 10, 2017

Cengiz Cengiz
Honored
228 posts

I have an Original (Indiegogo) Craftbot

For me the update process went smoothly, I didn't have to manually press any button, but that doesn't suprise me, as I personally never had any issues. (using Craftprint 1.05 beta #2555)
Note: I do have installed Atmel Studio 6.2 and 7 on my laptop

I am currently a litte short on my freetime, so I had no time to actually print something, but here are some cosmetic things that I have noticed:

1.) The text for "settings" is to large in the german language setting

2.) At the fan control page there is something similar with the size of the text box ("Lüfter" can't be fully displayed), maybe you can enlarge that until the arrow-buttons, then it will be fine

3.) If you want to level the bed there is an incomplete sentence at one page. It just says: "Now the calibration will be"

February 10, 2017

Stefan Stefan
Friendly
146 posts

mroek wrote:Here's another bug:

Look at the "filament left" number, it shows 0.-2-9-8, not really sure how to interpret that...

Not critical, but should be easy to fix. And I just noticed that the time left hasn't been removed, it just seems to not appear until further into the print.

May I ask you to send the gcode to sourcing@craftunique.com ?

Thanks!

February 10, 2017

Attila Attila
Admin
315 posts

Attila wrote:

Thanks!

I have sent an email with the g-code now. Should allow you to squash this bug quickly. As I also mentioned in the email, it doesn't happen for all files, and I suspect that is is somehow related to the fact that I have added custom G-code to lower the bed by 50 mm after a print has finished.

February 10, 2017

mroek mroek
Revered
535 posts

mroek wrote:
Attila wrote:

Thanks!

I have sent an email with the g-code now. Should allow you to squash this bug quickly. As I also mentioned in the email, it doesn't happen for all files, and I suspect that is is somehow related to the fact that I have added custom G-code to lower the bed by 50 mm after a print has finished.

Ok, thanks for the info.

February 10, 2017

Attila Attila
Admin
315 posts

Regarding the filament counter bug, I just printed an item, and I noticed that it got down to zero some time before (at 85% in this case) the print was actually finished, and that's when it starts displaying garbage. I guess it might be trying to show negative numbers in some non-standard way... :-)

In other words, the initial estimate of filament usage is wrong.

February 10, 2017

mroek mroek
Revered
535 posts

Looks like we have found the cause of the CraftPrint bug: https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-43777

Here is a new CraftPrint 1.07 for testing:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68813132/CraftPrint.exe
It must be copied into the CraftPrint install folder.

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

February 10, 2017

Janos Janos
Admin
601 posts

Tried to install craftprint above, says Im missing a file.

I did just try to overwrite the file that was there and not unistall craftware 1.14 - cp1.04.
Am I holding my mouse right ?

edit: Just installed 1.06 over 1.04 no problem, and same message from 1.07 file.

February 12, 2017

BV BV
Honored
308 posts

@BV

CraftPrint.exe depends on Qt libraries hence it must be in the same folder where you have installed CraftPrint previously.

Most probably it is in C:\Program Files(x86)\CraftUnique\CraftPrint\ folder.

Thank you for your help!

February 12, 2017

Janos Janos
Admin
601 posts

Ah ok I was thinking its an installer , doh !
I placed the file in the folder and life is good.

February 12, 2017

BV BV
Honored
308 posts

OK, I give it a trial with Craftprint 1.07:

Here is another bug, looks like cosmetic but can ruin your print at the beginning. Do the following:
1. Start CB
2. Home X, Y, Z
3. Move Z-axis a little down

4. Turn off CB
5. Turn on again
6. Go to axis home menu
You will see Z-axis "homed" although head is down!

Z-axis homes when you touch it. But you might think it was homed...

February 12, 2017

Cengiz Cengiz
Honored
228 posts

Another issue:

There is a clock setting somewhere in the menus.
After 1:30 print job, clock lagged ~10min.

February 12, 2017

Cengiz Cengiz
Honored
228 posts

I'm not sure if you can do much about the clock accuracy, as it is inaccurate by design (rc oscillator!?), maybe cu could try to compensate by software, but I doubt that this would result in a greater accuracy...

February 12, 2017

Stefan Stefan
Friendly
146 posts

BV wrote:Ah ok I was thinking its an installer , doh !
I placed the file in the folder and life is good.

Did you try to flash the firmware using CraftPrint 1.07?

February 13, 2017

Janos Janos
Admin
601 posts

Janos wrote:
Did you try to flash the firmware using CraftPrint 1.07?

I have now , here is the results.
I believe these have already been reported ?

My steps to test are:
1) copy craftprint 1.07 to the folder in program files(x86)\craftware
2) from craftprint I ran firmware update to get the newest version
3) from craftprint I uploaded the file pr3Dator.firmware
4) from craftprint I ran update firmware again to install it

February 13, 2017

BV BV
Honored
308 posts

10mm cube printed from mem stick on coarse settings.
Could use some fine tuning but the abs roll is not good either.
Measures .394 or 10mm on most of it.

Not sure what to make of the count clock but I think that was also reported.
The E stop is a nice touch, I usually print from the pc , I know crazy, so I dont get to see this screen.

February 13, 2017

BV BV
Honored
308 posts

Cengiz wrote:
Here is another bug, looks like cosmetic but can ruin your print at the beginning. Do the following:
1. Start CB
2. Home X, Y, Z
3. Move Z-axis a little down
4. Turn off CB
5. Turn on again
6. Go to axis home menu
You will see Z-axis "homed" although head is down!
Z-axis homes when you touch it. But you might think it was homed...

I think it displays Z as homed because it remembers the position it had when you turned it off. In other words, it is't really in the home position, but it isn't lost either. I don't see how this would ruin your print? Usually a homing command is in the g-code, so no matter what, it always starts from the homed position. And even without a homing command it should work, as the CB does know the Z-axis position, and can move to the correct location for the start of the print.

So to summarize, I don't think this is a bug.

February 13, 2017

mroek mroek
Revered
535 posts

I do not think it remembers last Z-axis position.
But agreed, no problems because it issues Home X, Y, Z before starting every print.
Looks like only cosmetic problem. Previous version did not have it...

February 13, 2017

Cengiz Cengiz
Honored
228 posts

Cengiz wrote:I do not think it remembers last Z-axis position.
But agreed, no problems because it issues Home X, Y, Z before starting every print.

I have a CraftBot2, and it most definitely remembers the Z-position, but perhaps that's a feature not available on older CraftBots?

February 13, 2017

mroek mroek
Revered
535 posts

You might be right, I have the original CB.
I remember, Craftunique guys were promoting "resume printing" in case of power failure with the new models. May be that piece of SW code now targets new generation CBs, but not supporting my original CB. It needs another ... if (CB_type == "original") else ;-)

February 13, 2017

Cengiz Cengiz
Honored
228 posts

The original CB does lack that feature, unless you dare to do this.

February 13, 2017

Stefan Stefan
Friendly
146 posts

Cengiz wrote:I do not think it remembers last Z-axis position.

It is a bit different and intentional. The reason the Z axis remains "homed" is that you cannot easily move the Z axis by hand, so the FW reasonably believes, that bed is there, where it left it. We thought, that it would be nice if you could move the bed even after you lose power or just switch off the motors. With the old FW if you stopped the print and the motors were switched off, you could not lower the bed without homing. And homing with a failed print on the bed is not a safe proposition.

Those white house icons show what directions are allowed in manual movement mode.

The worst that can happen is that the original CB thinks, that it is at 0 Z position, when you switch it on. You can drive it over ZMAX manually, if you do not look at it and ignore the horrible noises :-) But you cannot move the bed up, you have to home first.

February 13, 2017

psanyi psanyi
Exalted
999 posts

I found a weird bug on Craftware 1.14 beta 32757 build. I know its not relevant to firmware but I decided to share here because I think its your area Janos.

I have a 174mb stl file it opens normally and slices ok. But when I slice again it gives an error. I was curious why its gives Exception error and I figure that out it gives because its unable to clear the gcode.
To slice it again I need to close and re open the Craftware

February 14, 2017

Levent Ozigdeci Levent Ozigdeci
Honored
315 posts

I dont know if this is by design or a possible problem.
Heres what I did:
1) homed (all) button
2) moved X all the way to the right, X+
3) Z will not move in that position up or down.

Bump X a little - and now Z works again.

The manual display window looks like X and Y are not homed ?

edit:
Also I noticed the printer doesn't like going to the ends of the travel into each corner but that is another matter.

I cant see anything stopping the movement, its starting to look like at the extreme ends of travel the belt is jumping a tooth(s) which results in the extruder in a new position, this maybe a mechanical problem or it could be related to this Z bug ?
This usually starts in the back right corner, then it will move to another corner to jump the belt back where it was.
I dont recall the printer doing this before 1.07 but maybe it was ?
EDIT: Its the wire chain hitting on the rod holder at the far X+, I will have to see if I can shorten or move the wire chain a little.

February 14, 2017

BV BV
Honored
308 posts

I can confirm what BV just wrote. The bug happens both for X and for Y, so if you home both of those, and then move either to the other extreme (i.e. to the max), you cannot move Z (no matter where Z actually is).

Kind of a weird bug, but should be easy to identify and fix. Not really a critical bug, but could be a symptom of something more serious.

@Janos, could you give us some feedback that these bugs are being looked at, and fixed for the upcoming release?

February 15, 2017

mroek mroek
Revered
535 posts

@mroek,
Yes, most of these bugs are fixed by now. We thank to everyone for the feedback! Expected release will be the next coming week.

February 16, 2017

Janos Janos
Admin
601 posts

Great, looking forward to that!

February 16, 2017

mroek mroek
Revered
535 posts

@BV,

This was a mechanical problem in my case with original CB. There is x-y = ~5mm x ~2mm rectangular area at the back-right corner where cable-guide hit y-axis rod-holder. I removed one link from the cable-guide to fix that issue. See my old

February 17, 2017

Cengiz Cengiz
Honored
228 posts

Cengiz wrote:@BV,

This was a mechanical problem in my case with original CB. There is x-y = ~5mm x ~2mm rectangular area at the back-right corner where cable-guide hit y-axis rod-holder. I removed one link from the cable-guide to fix that issue. See my old

Thanks , I did the same thing and also moved the end over one screw position for good measure.

February 17, 2017

BV BV
Honored
308 posts

Thank you for your time and effort testing this version of the firmware. We have released the fixed version. Please read more here: https://craftunique.com/forums/view-thread/2458

February 21, 2017

Janos Janos
Admin
601 posts
To start a discussion or reply to a post please Login or Create an account.