M5001 E* = Doesn't do anything (using latest controller- and lcd board)

I'm very excited to get my upgraded CraftBot+ up and running!

I've done some initial tests with the new boards and XYZ works fine and moves amazingly smooth and silent!

But since I've installed a new extruder (Bondtech BMG) I need to adjust the esteps (or something similar) for the extruder motor in the firmware and all I could find online to accomplish this was the M5001 command.

I know that the default default steps per mm is about 188.6 and that I need to change this to 415.
If my calculations aren't way off, using the M5001 with the E diameter changed from 10.8 to 4.9 should do the trick.
The only problem being that changing the value doesn't seem to do any difference at all. I've tried multiples of the default up to x10 and down to x0.1 but telling it to extract 10mm will still extrude the exact same amount of filament.

I really rather not mess with the flow % or extrusion multiplier in the slicer, but I guess that is my last resort.

So.... help?

June 17, 2018

Linus Linus
Beginner
9 posts

7 replies

I'm very interested in this - I've just been reading and trying to figure out how to upgrade to either a Bondtech or E3D. Hope we can figure this out!

June 19, 2018

ruggie ruggie
Friendly
124 posts

Yes, this is the last part that I need to be able to alter to make this printer awesome!
I'm using the bondtech bmg extruder and an e3d hotend. I really recommend that combination! I have an e3d titan extruder as well as an e3d titan aero that I've tried on other printers, but nothing comes close to the performance of the bondtech dual gears (I think they've patented it, why there are little or no "legal" competitors). The titan aero is really slick in its design though!

June 19, 2018

Linus Linus
Beginner
9 posts

My bad, didn't read your post carefully enough

June 30, 2018

sint_vaffel sint_vaffel
Beginner
1 posts

So with some help from the nice people in the Facebook forum "CraftBot Users" I managed to figure out that M5001 actually DOES work, BUT you need to power toggle your CractBot before the new values are actually used. Combined with the M1205 that let's you set the esteps per revolution for the extruder motor with the E-parameter, you can get a Bondtech extruder + E3D hotend up and running nicely. I use the 415 steps recommended in Bondtechs documentation, and after some measuring I ended up with a diameter value of 2.428. So the commands you need to enter in a serial terminal are these:

M5001 X9.01 E2.428 Z2.0 ; set pulley diameters, x and z have the default values (power toggle required after sending this)
M1205 E415 ; set extruder esteps ... this will not persist after power toggle, so put it in your slicers start-g-code or something.

Happy modding/printing!

July 2, 2018

Linus Linus
Beginner
9 posts

Linus wrote:

M5001 X9.01 E2.428 Z2.0 ; set pulley diameters, x and z have the default values (power toggle required after sending this)
M1205 E415 ; set extruder esteps ... this will not persist after power toggle, so put it in your slicers start-g-code or something.

Happy modding/printing!

Hi Linus,
I don't understand the difference from set estep by command M1205 and the (equivalent) diameter of extruder gear by command M5001. Don't make the same thing? If I set the correct estep (in this case 415 reccomended from bondtech), isn't it sufficient for have a correct length of filament extrusion? Sorry but I'm a lot confused...

September 4, 2019

sepp974 sepp974
Friendly
94 posts

Hi everyone!

I'm new on the Craftbot forum but was following this topic for a while now. I'm also installing a BMG extruder on a Craftbot Plus but whatever I try, I can't seem to get it to work properly.

Did you get it to work sepp874?

Thanks in advance!

September 19, 2019

Bart NL Bart NL
Beginner
1 posts

Bart NL wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm new on the Craftbot forum but was following this topic for a while now. I'm also installing a BMG extruder on a Craftbot Plus but whatever I try, I can't seem to get it to work properly.

Did you get it to work sepp874?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it works fine!
Forgot M1205 commando for the estep and use only M5001, you must set the correct value for the extruder. Use an empirical method to find it.

September 19, 2019

sepp974 sepp974
Friendly
94 posts
To start a discussion or reply to a post please Login or Create an account.