Versions

• Non CraftBot 3: 11965
  • CraftBot3 : 14535

Common changes

• Wi-Fi speed up ( New Wi-Fi firmware must to be uploaded using CraftPrint v1.12) only work with CraftPrint at the moment (not supported the Android, iOS application).
  • G92 command slow down error fixed.

CB3 changes:

• Selectable wipe position ( M425 command )
  • Support Backup mode
  • Support new extended parallel mode

July 2, 2018

Janos Janos
Admin
555 posts

25 replies

I updated my CB2 to this new firmware, and I tested uploading a 10 MB gcode file over WiFi. That took 1 minute and 48 seconds, so around 90 kB/s in my case. This is a vast improvement over previous firmware versions, and for small gcode files it is at least somewhat useable. For files that are more than a couple of megabytes, it is still too slow if your printer and your computer are close to each other, but if you have the printer in another room, then transferring it wirelessly might be a good option instead of running back and forth with the thumbdrive.

And also, uploading over WiFi while the printer is heating is also possible, and in that time you're just waiting anyways. And there I have a wish for CraftPrint: It is possible to set the temperatures wirelessly from CraftPrint, but it would have been nice to be able to select the same presets that are on the printer, especially the custom ones. I guess that would require CraftPrint to be able to read those back from the printer first, but that would not be a difficult task, I believe.

I don't think you need to worry about getting the mobile app to support file upload, but it does need some other improvements, like remembering (or manually entering) the printer's IP, and much more extensive status info (similar to what the printer itself displays). That's what the app needs, file upload is best done from the computer anyways.

July 2, 2018

mroek mroek
Revered
529 posts

And now I have tried printing with this firmware, but it appears that something is not quite right with the kinematics.

My machine seems noticeably more jerky now, but I haven't dared downgrading the firmware to verify, since I've had some bad experiences with that. I guess I have no choice, though, because I can't be entirely sure without doing so.

July 2, 2018

mroek mroek
Revered
529 posts

Well, I can confirm that this FW has a nasty bug that causes very loud and annoying jerks during printing. This bug was introduced in this latest release, so unless you like your CB to have loud spasms, stay away.

Here's a short video of my machine which shows the problem. Remember to have sound on to hear it (even if I've overlaid text when the jerks happens):

I've intentionally modified the g-code to not actually move Z, and I removed the filament and all heating commands as well, so the extruder just spins freely. This is to ensure that no sound can come from the nozzle dragging over the print during movements.

I've now downgraded my FW, and the problem went away (as I anticipated).

July 4, 2018

mroek mroek
Revered
529 posts

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem with the very strong jerky movements which sooner or later always result in a loss of step and thus ruin the print.

I have a CB3 and I am currently not satisfied at all!
When I downgrade the firmware, the parallel mode doesn't work properly anymore.
So I have to decide if I want to have a parallel mode or extremely jerky movements. Both results in a broken print!

July 4, 2018

Fladdie Fladdie
Beginner
11 posts

And these jerks was introduced on the CB3 by this firmware release, right? You didn't have them previously?

It is weird that these nasty bugs keep slipping (similar things has happened many times in the past) through the cracks at CU. After I had loaded this new firmware and started a print, I immediately heard that something wasn't right. How come the testers at CU didn't notice this?

I've sent a gcode test file to CU (same file used in my video), and I expect them to fix this quickly, and they should also remove this firmware from their servers until they have a fixed version.

July 5, 2018

mroek mroek
Revered
529 posts

hi,

exactly the jerky movement only came with the current firmware. Previously, this behavior did not occur.

Like you, I noticed the extreme jerking movements from the first minute after the firmware update.

July 5, 2018

Fladdie Fladdie
Beginner
11 posts

I have just tried to change the printing speed on the touch display. Since the new firmware these settings seem to have no effect anymore.

It's really very disappointing. I've had the printer for two weeks now and I'm rather dissatisfied. I also have a cheap China printer. This one currently convinces me more. :-(

July 5, 2018

Fladdie Fladdie
Beginner
11 posts

Hmm, I didn't test that on my CB2 when I had this firmware loaded, but I do agree that's very disappointing. At any rate, I'm not loading this version back up to test, since we now know it's flawed.

Let's just hope that CU really does an effort to fix this quickly! I'm OK with beta testing when I know that's what I am doing (and I've always been willing to test stuff for CU), but I expect release versions to be thoroughly tested. That doesn't mean that releases can't have bugs, but glaringly obvious bugs should not occur.

July 5, 2018

mroek mroek
Revered
529 posts

Hi,

because I cannot print error-free with the current firmware I would also like to perform a downgrade.
Where do I get the older firmware?

July 5, 2018

Fladdie Fladdie
Beginner
11 posts

Fladdie wrote:because I cannot print error-free with the current firmware I would also like to perform a downgrade.
Where do I get the older firmware?

Go here and then click "Please click here for all versions."

July 5, 2018

ruggie ruggie
Friendly
124 posts

Thank you for reporting this issue. The firmware developers are checking what wrong and will fix this asap.

July 5, 2018

Janos Janos
Admin
555 posts

@ruggie: That's just for older versions of CraftWare and CraftPrint, not the firmwares. There seems to be no updated archive for the CB3 firmware anywhere, unfortunately.

Asking CU politely for an older firmware version will most likely succeed.

July 5, 2018

mroek mroek
Revered
529 posts

Hi all,

The bug is fixed, firmware guys are testing it now, should be out soon.

Regards,
Norbert

July 5, 2018

NorbertF NorbertF
Admin
151 posts

@NorbertF: That's great to hear, make sure they also verify that the other issue that Fladdie observed (changing settings on the fly during printing) is not present.

And I would very much appreciate to know more about why this bug crept in (and what the bug actually was, even if I can guess). Fiddling with the kinematics should be kept to a minimum when you have something that is working well, and now I am a bit worried that also other areas of the motion might be affected.

And I also have one small additional request for the firmware developers: Could you please add in some acceleration when jogging X and Y from the LCD? The speed is fine (and can also be tweaked by an M-code), but the motion starts a bit too abruptly, so a tiny bit of acceleration to make the start of the movement softer would be very welcome.

July 5, 2018

mroek mroek
Revered
529 posts

Hello,

that's good news! Is it possible to get the fixed firmware for beta test? I really do need a solution to this problem very urgently!

July 5, 2018

Fladdie Fladdie
Beginner
11 posts

I got a beta firmware for testing. Many thanks to the friendly staff of chat support.
I'll report soon.

July 5, 2018

Fladdie Fladdie
Beginner
11 posts

I also got a beta for testing, but I don't think it has been properly fixed yet. It was much better than the release, but increasing the speed from the LCD reintroduced some jerking, unfortunately.

July 5, 2018

mroek mroek
Revered
529 posts

CB3:
Okay, with the beta firmware, there seem to be no more extreme jerky movements as before.
But the speed adjustment as well as the flow adjustment via touch display still does not work.
There is also the problem that print head 1 does not convey enough material in parallel print mode, as was also the case with firmware 14252.
This problem was not actually present in the 14525.

Even if I only use print head 1 alone, too little material is extruded.

July 5, 2018

Fladdie Fladdie
Beginner
11 posts

mroek wrote:@ruggie: That's just for older versions of CraftWare and CraftPrint, not the firmwares.

Whoops! Thanks for catching that. :) I thought firmware was contained in each version of CraftPrint? (or maybe it always downloads from the server?)

July 6, 2018

ruggie ruggie
Friendly
124 posts

@ruggie: It either downloads from the server or you can use a file you have on your computer. No firmware is embedded in the CraftPrint software.

July 6, 2018

mroek mroek
Revered
529 posts

Bixit219 had a website archiving all the CraftBot firmwares on https://craftbot.smurfy-net.de/ before but it looks like the website is no longer working.

July 6, 2018

3DForms 3DForms
Superstar
1774 posts

@mroek: what! new firmware and still complaining? That can't be right!

July 7, 2018

Bartaar Bartaar
Service partner
1675 posts

@Bart: Well, you know me. I'm always complaining and moaning. A lot. Nothing is ever good enough for me. And pesky Dutch CB resellers always rub me the wrong way...

That said, I think the issues are fixed now, and I'm guessing a fixed version will be available next week.

July 7, 2018

mroek mroek
Revered
529 posts

@mroek: my life wouldn't be so great without your intense moaning!

@Paul: I still keep a firmware archive, here.
I update it 'by hand' so I can miss some firmware versions. if I do, please send me it.
You can download it too at http://firmware.craftunique.com/pr3Dator.firmware

July 8, 2018

Bartaar Bartaar
Service partner
1675 posts

Bart, thanks for sharing the link to your archived CraftBot firmwares.

July 8, 2018

3DForms 3DForms
Superstar
1774 posts
To start a discussion or reply to a post please Login or Create an account.