Simplify 3D for Craftbot 3 and dual extrusion

I was just about to head to my local California 3D printing store to pick up the CB3 and then I realized I might not be able to use my favorite slicer, Simplify 3D. Does anyone know if S3D directly supports the CB3? Specifically, can it properly process dual extruded models?

I'm a really big fan of S3D and would like to avoid switching to CraftWare.

August 18, 2018

ruggie ruggie
Friendly
124 posts

5 replies

Hello Ruggie, that can't be a big problem. I tweaked KISSlicer for the CB3, and in the past for other dual printers also S3D.
But I don't think there is a ready made profile available yet for the CB3 and S3D.

August 23, 2018

Bart ter Haar Bart ter Haar
Service partner
1618 posts

Bart ter Haar wrote:
But I don't think there is a ready made profile available yet for the CB3 and S3D.

Yes, there is no profile in 4.0.1. Perhaps there will be in 4.1 being released next month? I understand that someone has provided FFF files on the Craftbot users Facebook page but wanted to ask here.

Is it true that essentially you need one STL per extruder?

August 24, 2018

ruggie ruggie
Friendly
124 posts

I don't think s3d will make that.
I made various profiles in the past for known slicers:
https://www.craftbot.nl/category/craftblog-support/overige-slicers-voor-craftbot/

I can make a cb3 dual profile as well for s3d for you to try. (Probably on Sunday, so I don't have to go to church)
My basic profiles for the cb3 (CW and KS) are based on printing the main object with the left extruder, and the support structure with the right extruder. As that's the sensible way to go.
Do you want that as well? And what object material? PLA?
And the support with PVA?
Or do you want to print just with two colors? That's ok too, but more aimed at instant satisfaction. Better buy a Palette with 4 colors than....

About your question about needing one stl per extruder: that's only when printing an object with two colors. One stl is pointed to the left extruder and the other to the right.
But you can load as many stls you want and each connect to an extruder.
With Kisslicer you can even connect meshes within an stl to an extruder

But for me is the main goal of an dual 3d printer to print the support structure with some other soluble material.

As two colors is limiting for an object.
If you want to print with multiple colors, better buy a CB+ with a 4 color Mosaic palette. Total of that is even cheaper than a CB3.
Bart

August 24, 2018

Service partner
1618 posts

Bart, have you created a CB3 profile for S3D? I couldn't find it on your homepage.

September 4, 2018

Christoph97 Christoph97
Beginner
2 posts

Hello Christoph,
I haven't made it yet. I only have dual profiles for the cb3 for craftware and Kisslicer.
I started to make it for S3d for you but realised it would take more time than I want to spend to get and test a descend profile. Mostly because I use S3d barely...
I understand you want to stay with one slicer but otoh, why should others spend time on that as craftware and kisslicer do a perfect job...
What I try to say: time for you to spend time out of the s3d box ;'-) .
It's beatifull out there!

September 6, 2018

Service partner
1618 posts
To start a discussion or reply to a post please Login or Create an account.