Common changes in CraftBot 3D printers

• Minimum feed changed from 5mm/s to 1mm/s
  • The extruder fan switching On/Off temperature is now 60°C

Changes in CraftBot 2/XL/3

• WIFI SSID customizable, and can be hidden

Changes in CraftBot 3 only

• v4.2 pr3Dator (***/9 pr3d version) is supported (v4.2 PCB is only compatible with this firmware version and above)
  • Head temperature table modified
  • When head is clogged, after 30 minutes head heating turns off automatically. If printing is continued, the print heads heat up automatically
  • You now can find in "print pause menu" actual/target temperature of extruder 1 or extruder 2.
  • Various other fixes

CraftBot and WiFi firmware can be updated with the latest CraftPrint v1.13 on Windows and Mac OSX.

September 6, 2018

Janos Janos
Admin
542 posts

8 replies

Hello Janos, thanks for the update.

The extruder fan switching On/Off temperature is not 60°C

I assume you mean it's now 60 degrees in stead of the earlier 80 degrees?

What is changed between the v4.0 PCB and v4.2 PCB ?

What is changed with CP 1.13?

About the temp table: is the measured temp now as the set temp? As earlier there was a difference of 15 degrees?

I have some problems with the changed codes in firmware. For example the current command. I and some customers use different (aged) CraftBots. We all need to increase the set current to the motors. But the needed Mcodes are not compatible with different aged craftbots.

The older Craftbot plus needs:
M906 X50 E60
giving:
A:56 B:56 Z:39 E:66

The newer Craftbots with the silent stepper motor needs:
M906 X R1600 H1200
giving:
Hold currents: A:1200 mA B:1200 mA E:380 mA Z:380 mA
Run currents: A:1600 mA B:1600 mA E:1400 mA Z:1300 mA

And the CB3 needs:
M5003 X1000 Y1000
The unit is mA so 1000 is 1000mA

The problem is that you can't use the same profile for old and new CB+'s And certainly not also the CB3.
As using the 'wrong' M906 code will cause an error. Same for the M5003 for CB+'s.
For me it seems that in the firmware it should be set that when:
an old CB+, the M906 command with R and H parameters / the M5003 command should be ignored.
Same for the CB3: ignoring the M906 command.

Also: when setting a new zero point with G92, it seems the firmware won't see that.
G1 X6 Y1 F240
G92 E0
G92 X0 Y0
It concludes that there will be printed at X-6 and by that causing an error.

September 7, 2018

Bartaar Bartaar
Service partner
1656 posts

Bart, yes your assumption about the fan and temperature is correct, it will now keep the extruder fan ON at temperatures above 60 degrees (instead of 80 degrees, as it was previously).

Your other questions I can't answer, but I am wondering why you need to change the stepper currents? In my experience (with the silent stepper PCB on the CB2), the defaults are fine and works OK. I'm guessing you may be running aggressive speeds/accelerations if you are experiencing missed steps unless the current is increased?

September 7, 2018

mroek mroek
Revered
519 posts

Hi,
Well the need for using different M code for CB3 is because the motors have to be controlled with different current values. That way if you want to print with the CB3's controlling values on a different machine it won't make the motors faulty.

September 7, 2018

Márton17 Márton17
Beginner
1 posts

Márton17 wrote:Hi,
Well the need for using different M code for CB3 is because the motors have to be controlled with different current values. That way if you want to print with the CB3's controlling values on a different machine it won't make the motors faulty.

I get that, but that's assuming you actually need to change the current values in the first place. If you need to do that, then I'd argue that either you are asking too much of the printer, or that the default current values are incorrect/insufficient. For the latter, you should put the case to CU and have them revise the default values in the firmware, showing them why you think the values are wrong.

And even so, why should it be a requirement that it should be possible to use the same profile for different printers (CB2 vs CB3)? After all, they are different printers, so having to use different profiles shouldn't be much of a surprise or even a difficulty?

But then again, I may be completely misunderstanding this. Definitely also a possibility, just ask Bart (he'll call me a crazy rambling Norwegian anyways). :-)

September 7, 2018

mroek mroek
Revered
519 posts

@Bart,
The v4.2 board makes more accurate temperature readings than the v4.0 board does, that is all.

September 7, 2018

Janos Janos
Admin
542 posts

Bart ter Haar wrote:What is changed with CP 1.13?

Hi Bart, I installed CP 1.13 even though it's labeled as "beta" on the executable. In the "About" section, it says:

18.08.29 Version 1.13
++++++++++++++++++
Fixed CB3 temp control bug.
Fixed CB3 firmware update bug for HWID 8 and 9.
Added support for custom SSID setup for WiFi printers

September 9, 2018

ruggie ruggie
Friendly
124 posts

@mroek
Your other questions I can't answer, but I am wondering why you need to change the stepper currents?

Because of printshifts. They occure on all machines, also without some fancy acceleration tweaks. It's not only speed. Sometimes it's some 'air banding' of some small overhang. By that a piece of the printed material curls up, making it possible to let the nozzle / extruder trip over it. For that you need some more current. Same for solid prints: if there is a little overextrusiuon, you don't want the print to fail. Although it's better to set a Z hop for that prints.

About the speed set: still reasonable: 60mm/s . Although the CB+ can print 200mm/s according the spec sheet. Although2: the firmware limit it to 120mm/s

but I am wondering why you need to change the stepper currents

And even when not needed: it's possible to change a lot with startgcode firmware tweaks. So if it's possible it should be logical.

I have several customers having bought a CB+, a smooth CB+ later on, and even a CB3.
You can't explain that they have to use different profiles for the same CB+. They can't see there are smooth steppers inside or not.

Also: Craftware is set up like this:
- choose your printer at the settings menu
- choose a slice profile for a specific material.
So now you have to make 3 different slice profiles for 3 different CU printers.
Same for KISSlicer.

For me it seems logical that known M/Gcodes not being used with the firmware of a specific CU printer/firmware have to be ruled out. So not giving an error.
For example:
M5003 X1000 Y1000
imported in a CB+ is giving an error that the max bed size is exceeded. (as it sees it as X1000). For me it seems logical that such a command, as M5003 is ignored with older CB's.

@Márton17: indeed ;-)

@mroek:
I'd argue that either you are asking too much of the printer,

or another reason / printing at 200mm/s... and: when it's possible it should be logical
or that the default current values are incorrect/insufficient

I would think so. And if there isn't a reason not to increase that default values, why shouldn't CU? I measured the temp of the extruders with higher currents: still under 50grC. AFIK they are certified at 80grC

And even so, why should it be a requirement that it should be possible to use the same profile for different printers (CB2 vs CB3)? After all, they are different printers, so having to use different profiles shouldn't be much of a surprise or even a difficulty?

I don't agree. First of all the CU printers are advertised as plug and play / simple for beginners. They should be simple to use as well by normal customers with different craftbots.
Also: As said above: how can one see if they have an early CB+, or one with the smooth steppers, needing other mcodes? I can write it on it with a magic marker of course.

Also: even when seeing the CB's as different printers, than the workflow of Craftware is not logical. Now you choose your printer at the setting button, and after that you slice it with a profile, mostly aimed at the printmaterial.
When following your proposition, than slice profiles should be connected to a specific printer directly. So it's clear at once that you slice for a CB3/+ with belonging profile / start gcode.

I make mistakes with that stuff. Let allone my nice customers with different CB's. Why should the worry about that? The only difference between that profiles would be the startgcode with other firmware tweaks and the printvolume. They won't ever understand or see it. And they shouldn't have to see it.
How difficuld is it to write the firmware like this:

if an early CB+:

• these set of M/Gcodes can be used
  • other m/gcodes of other craftbots should be ignored, as:
  • a line with R in it:M906 X R1600 H1200
  • or a line with M5003
  • m/gcodes of not-CU firmware will give an error

Same for other CB specific codes.

@Janos
The v4.2 board makes more accurate temperature readings than the v4.0 board does, that is all.

Ok, I understand that: they are more accurate. So when measuring 211,5 degrees 4.2 measures 211,5 degrees and 4.0 211 degrees (as being 10 times less accurate).
But I don't see yet what that has to do with the temp table. As that's something in the firmware. When measuring a specific resistance, than the result is a specific temperature. But with the 4.0 CB3 there is a difference of 15 degrees between measured and set temperature (actually it's not linair and measured by Jan over a range of tmeperatures, but to keep it simple).

Is it so that when a customer has bought an 4.0 CB3 and a new 4.2 CB3, he/she has to set a different temperature in the slicer?
That would be as same as bad as the difference between an early and smooth CB+

@ruggie: thank you, I missed that.

September 9, 2018

Bartaar Bartaar
Service partner
1656 posts

Hi,
Looks as if 12095 firmware wouldn't correctly handle the M906 comand.
For my CB+ (mainboard v1.6) it works fine from terminal but from within g-code
M906 X50 E60 generates an error:

Error in G-code!
The target position is out of
printing area!
X: -35.000mm

When leaving off the X parameter, the extruder current is set correctly.
But A & B motor currents are changed from 33 (default) to 21.

September 14, 2018

Gessi Gessi
Beginner
1 posts
To start a discussion or reply to a post please Login or Create an account.