Hi. I've downloaded Craftware for Mac. As soon as I opened it, the buttons on the side are huge and pixilated. The zoom and pan rates are unbearably slow, and there isn't even a preference panel I could find to adjust them. Then, actually using the interface is a mystery. There is no obvious starting point or toolbar so I started to hit random keys on the keyboard, which changed the interface to some command, sometimes changing the viewport for a second before it changed back again.

Did I download a buggy release? What's going on?

December 16, 2018

J26 J26
Beginner
1 posts

10 replies

There are A LOT of known problems with the mac version of Craftware unfortunately (including myself as I can't run it either) I have the same issues you do .. I know they are working on it but I don't know what the ETA is .. or if they have a "plan" right now to even address the problems (to be fair I think some of them come from the development layer they build craftware on not behaving correctly)..

For now, I just use CURA (the older version).. with the hope that one day I can actually use and enjoy Craftware on my mac as well..

December 16, 2018

Bixit219 Bixit219
Superstar
1451 posts

Hi,

This bug where the screen is showing a small part of the screen is known, and as Bixit wrote it, this is because of a development layer behaves incorrectly.
We're constantly upgrading that layer (which is actually the one allowing us to release it on different operating systems) below CraftWare, and this bug came in when we released 1.19.

We didn't know what caused it, and didn't have a Mac where it happened, so debugging and finding out root cause was hard.
Now we know it's in that development layer, and that in their next release it is fixed. In the next CraftWare release we will use that.

However, something new came up, and seems that if we build CraftWare with MacOS 10.14 SDK, the user interface will have glitches in it, some windows unresponsive.
Using 10.13 SDK it doesn't happen.

So, one mystery solved, another came in, both changes outside the CraftWare code.

Obviously for now we can build CraftWare with 10.13, but that's not a solution.
Need to debug this thing as well.

Also, we are already in the process of rewriting the 3D rendering, because OpenGL is deprecated on Mac and is pretty slow.

Regards,
Norbert

December 17, 2018

NorbertF NorbertF
Admin
151 posts

any fix for this bug ? it's nine month old now.. Is Craftware OSX still alive ?

September 16, 2019

herve herve
Beginner
1 posts

OSX is not considered to be profitable or worth to develop software. Better change to Linux.

September 20, 2019

Bartaar Bartaar
Service partner
1677 posts

Bartaar wrote:OSX is not considered to be profitable or worth to develop software. Better change to Linux.

Wow that's fairly harsh Bart... and if I may say a touch unprofessional for a Craft Unique "service partner".. its also patently untrue. But we won't get into "religious wars" here.

September 21, 2019

Bixit219 Bixit219
Superstar
1451 posts

herve wrote:any fix for this bug ? it's nine month old now.. Is Craftware OSX still alive ?

Here is a better (and less harsh and more professional) answer..

As a fellow mac user, as far as I know, no .. the problem hasn't really been resolved, that said I recently had to upgrade my mac so I now no longer fall into the same group of people having issues so I am no longer any help to the Craft Unique people trying to resolve this.. My iMac that was impacted by this died due to an electrical problem caused by lightning so I had to replace it with the current gen model. I know how frustrating this can be .. but I had been working with a few of the Craftware people to try to sort out the issue.. and we didn't get anywhere though they think they narrowed the issue down to a 3rd party graphics layer not properly returning the right display configuration.

September 21, 2019

Bixit219 Bixit219
Superstar
1451 posts

I don't know, Bixit219, based on just how unprofessional the programmers have been with this nonsensical piece of garbageware, I think J26's issue is entirely valid and is sure seems unacceptable to me that, with all the positive reviews the hardware receives, the software can be this far from finished, let alone even usable.

What we all would really like to know, particularly from a user of your renown and experience, is what software can be used to replace what this garbage can't do?

Are their configuration files so that we can print to this hardware using Meshmixer or CURA, or any other 3D print application. Seems like most hardware manufacturers provide the drivers so that makers of software can simply include their printer among the rest.

September 24, 2019

Pat14 Pat14
Beginner
2 posts

Pat14 wrote:I think J26's issue is entirely valid and is sure seems unacceptable to me that, with all the positive reviews the hardware receives, the software can be this far from finished, let alone even usable.

What we all would really like to know, particularly from a user of your renown and experience, is what software can be used to replace what this garbage can't do?

Are their configuration files so that we can print to this hardware using Meshmixer or CURA, .

I do agree that the software (on the mac side) is a bit of a mess, and given how long its been like that, I dont use it as my primary slicer (I would like to but thats hasnt really been an option for me since day 1), I can say that they honestly DID try fixing it.. As I am not by any imagination part of the craftunique team (I am just an owner of an original CB) .. I can't speak to any internal aspects just the stuff I was personally involved with (which did involve a LOT of special builds and repeated testing and fiddling of config files and yet more special test builds to try to get some answers) ..

That said.. my self I use an older version of CURA as my main workhorse on my original CB .. 15.02.01 to be specific .. Id be happy to share my config file .. I think the newer CURAs use an incompatible profile format, I havent personally taken the time to explore a new profile for that.. I also know some people have had wonderful results with Simplify3D .. I think there were some profiles posted to this form if you back search old posts.

September 24, 2019

Bixit219 Bixit219
Superstar
1451 posts

Sinplify3D seems a possibly lifesaving search term for this forum. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

I have had experience configuring a 4 axis milling machine with motion control & a specialized copy of unix for machining materials via g-code. Based on that experience, I am sure hoping that a pathway exists to reliably get from Fusion 360 to a Craftbot 3 without having to go down that deep of a rabbit hole.

September 24, 2019

Pat14 Pat14
Beginner
2 posts

Simplify3D +1

The only thing lacking is the extra "modes" in Craftware, but they can be achieved in S3D with a bit of work.

October 12, 2019

Allen67 Allen67
Beginner
39 posts
To start a discussion or reply to a post please Login or Create an account.