Usually, when I print large or complex objects I run into a few issues. I'm not sure if their human error, the software, the machine, or even my computer to be at fault. The first problem is that the software doesn't give all the gcode for the whole print. For example, I'm currently printing this (notice the layer count).Software error?

With these settings. Software error?

Right now it looks like this. Software error?

Here is a better angle and you can see the estimated time and the current time. Software error?

Looking at it I got worried because it doesn't look like it's where it should be for being at 63.5%. I did the math (1860 (the total number of layers as seen from the first picture)*.635=1181.1 (1181 for convenience)) and it should be at layer 1181. At 63.5% this is where it should be. Software error?

From this picture, it is about layer number 781 (give or take 10 layers or so). Software error?

Doing a little more math, (781*100=63.5*x, 78100/63.5=x, x=1229) shows that the print would end at 1229 layers. Software error?

If I did the math right (I'm hoping I did) then I've wasted 58+ hours on a print and maybe a fourth of a spool? This is very frustrating and causes me to limit myself to size and complexity.

The other problem is missing layers in the gcode as seen here. Software error?

It isn't a problem with the model, because it's happened to other models and seems that the only way to avoid it is to make the model under the layer that it is missing. Software error?

This too is very frustrating and limiting.

A few comments though:
I know the software (if it is the fault of the software) isn't going to be flawless or perfect, I just need for it not to be as limiting.
I have the latest version of the software, so it being outdated isn't an issue.
I have a Craftbot 2, and use a flash drive that has more than enough space to on it to put my prints on.
If there are any other easy to learn alternative software that would work I'd be happy to try it.

If someone could let me know what the issue is and how to fix it I'd be more than happy to listen. I'd like to think I know a lot about 3D printing but I've only really used craftbot printers and seem to run into issues I can't explain or have no idea how to fix somethings.

July 24, 2019

Jack74 Jack74
Beginner
3 posts

6 replies

Can you share this model?

July 24, 2019

Janos Janos
Admin
561 posts

Janos wrote:Can you share this model?

I can, but I'd have to do it privately. I bought the model and had to agree not the distribute it, but with you being an admin and trying to figure out the problem I will if you are willing to uphold the agreement. I'd also like to know how I would be able to share it with you?

July 24, 2019

Jack74 Jack74
Beginner
3 posts

You can send message to me through the forum. Click on my name and you will see how to send message. Thanks!

July 25, 2019

Janos Janos
Admin
561 posts

Janos wrote:You can send message to me through the forum. Click on my name and you will see how to send message. Thanks!

I know that, but how do I share the model, it won't allow me to drop it into the text box.

July 27, 2019

Jack74 Jack74
Beginner
3 posts

See any solution to the "I cannot email this big file" problem ...

July 28, 2019

psanyi psanyi
Exalted
959 posts

First things to try maybe:
repair the model with 3D builder of Windows 10 (or netfabb). Just import, say yes to repair and export it again.

But i know that missing layers even with a good model: you can try to change the layer height from 0.2mm to 0.1999 for eexample.

August 18, 2019

Bartaar Bartaar
Service partner
1678 posts
To start a discussion or reply to a post please Login or Create an account.