Difference from M5001 E... and M1205 E...?

Hello,
I don't understand the difference from set estep of extruder with command M1205 E... and set the corret diameter of the extruder pulley with M5001 E...; both controls affect the flow, isn't it the same thing?
And what is default value of estep (M1205 E?)?

September 5, 2019

sepp974 sepp974
Friendly
94 posts

3 replies

I think you misunderstand the M1205 command. AFAIK that sets the microstepping value for the motors, a small power of 2. I think it was used for debug and you normally would not change it from the defaults. If you try to set it to some invalid value, then it will be ignored I think.

September 5, 2019

psanyi psanyi
Exalted
955 posts

Thanks Psanyi,
my question comes from the fact that I am modifying the extruder group of my craftbot, I move from its direct drive to a bowden dual drive (BondTech clone). The engine remains the same but now the gear of the wire feeder has a 3:1 ratio. Is it sufficient to modify only the flow with the command M5001 E ... (which I will calculate empirically) or do I have to modify the steps of the motor (BondTech recommends setting 415)?

September 5, 2019

sepp974 sepp974
Friendly
94 posts

I would go with empirical calibration. In the end you just want to consume the exact amount of filament, that is in the gcode. Those 'esteps' are just Marlin terminology for the same thing imho.

September 6, 2019

psanyi psanyi
Exalted
955 posts
To start a discussion or reply to a post please Login or Create an account.