Ladies and Gentlemen,

Craftbots have been evolving! We have taken onboard the wishes of our customers, friends and partners and packaged them in our, soon to be launched range! Here is a little taster of what is to come. The hawk-eyed among you will notice the exciting developments for sure!

CraftBot Flow Teaser

October 18, 2019

Janos Janos
Admin
558 posts

18 replies

Very nice!

So after the just released upgraded Craftbot Plus (which is great, apart from the lack of a better extruder design similar to the CB3 that would be great for flexible filaments) it looks like we will soon get at least an additional two new or improved machines.

From what I saw, that would be upgraded versions of the Craftbot 3 as well as an upgraded Craftbot XL, both using the same parts:

• bigger touch display
  • improved single fan airflow design for parts cooling
  • BL Touch sensor for automatic levelling/tramming (hopefully with mesh bed levelling?)
  • magnetically attached (and slightly flexible?) steel build plate
  • upgraded extruder design (along with what seems to be smaller motors with an additional gearbox in front?)
  • upgraded software with a new look for the user interface
  • filament runout sensor (even on the single extruder CB XL machine)
  • current design all metal hot-end similar to CB3 and new CB Plus

The one thing that cannot be seen would be a possible upgrade for the micro controller on the mainboard - I'd like to see a more powerful 32 bit one along with all the other upgrades. That would offer me all the improvements that I'd like to have, making this a must-have upgrade over my old CB Plus.

Keep it up! :)

October 18, 2019

Taliessin Taliessin
Beginner
36 posts

Nice guessing!
CraftBot Flow Teaser says:
"Our brand new CraftBot series based on your needs is coming soon with 4 new printers: 2 single and 2 independent dual extruder equipped 3D printers."

October 18, 2019

Janos Janos
Admin
558 posts

Taliessin wrote:
The one thing that cannot be seen would be a possible upgrade for the micro controller on the mainboard - I'd like to see a more powerful 32 bit one along with all the other upgrades.

The current CB machines are already 32 bit, as far as I know.

I'm also quite excited about this new generation. From the looks of it, they did a few very nice improvements while keeping the tank-like design (which I really like). From the pictures you can see linear rails being used (and also rods for the Y), so that's nice. It is most likely similar to the CB3 in that it is not really true CoreXY, which in my opinion is slightly unfortunate.

It still uses direct drive, not bowden (which is great, because bowden sucks).

I am really curious about the sizes of these new machines. I am hoping there is one that is about the same size as the CB+, because if we're talking CB3 sizes for all machines, I'm out. I don't have room for such a beast.

I hope this teaser will be followed by more information real soon, I can't wait to hear if there is actually a size that suits my needs!

October 18, 2019

mroek mroek
Revered
531 posts

Oh, so there might be a new CB+/CB2 form factor version as well? Or a dual extruder XL? Now I'm curious... :)

For me, having all the mentioned features on top of what the CB+/CB2/CB3 offer, something along the lines of the CB XL (maybe with a more square X/Y print area) would be the thing to upgrade to. If there is an option for dual extruders on that as well (maybe even upgradable later on) that would be great!

Are you planning for releases in time for Christmas? Or do we have to look forward to sometime early next year? Ok, maybe that's classified just as the return time for the combat mission mentioned in the "Airplane!" movie... :)

October 18, 2019

Taliessin Taliessin
Beginner
36 posts

All info will be revealed step-by-step until 4th of this November which is the official launch date of our new machines.

October 18, 2019

Janos Janos
Admin
558 posts

The teaser only says "coming soon", so we don't know what soon really is.

I did some image trickery on one of the images (the one where you see the machine from the front) from the teaser page, and by scaling it by the USB connector (which has a known size), it would seem to me that the overall width of the machine is around 50 cm, putting it squarely it in the "beast category" according to my definition. That is almost 10 cm wider than the CB+, and I don't have (or want to have) space for that.

I can only hope that this is the bigger sibling, and that there is one that is smaller. As Janos said, they are releasing 4 new printers, two with dual extruders and two without. It is reasonable to assume that means there will also be two sizes, but the size difference may only be in Z, and if so they are all as wide as the one in the picture. And that is too big for me.

Note: The image scaling technique is of course not very accurate since the USB connector is pretty small, but it is most likely in the right ballpark, at least.

October 18, 2019

mroek mroek
Revered
531 posts

mroek wrote:I did some image trickery on one of the images (the one where you see the machine from the front) from the teaser page, and by scaling it by the USB connector (which has a known size), it would seem to me that the overall width of the machine is around 50 cm, putting it squarely it in the "beast category" according to my definition. That is almost 10 cm wider than the CB+, and I don't have (or want to have) space for that.

Nice one! To be exact the width of that machine is 48.5cm
But hey, the build volume is wider/larger too!

October 18, 2019

Janos Janos
Admin
558 posts

Janos wrote:
mroek wrote:I did some image trickery on one of the images (the one where you see the machine from the front) from the teaser page, and by scaling it by the USB connector (which has a known size), it would seem to me that the overall width of the machine is around 50 cm, putting it squarely it in the "beast category" according to my definition. That is almost 10 cm wider than the CB+, and I don't have (or want to have) space for that.

Nice one! To be exact the width of that machine is 48.5cm
But hey, the build volume is wider/larger too!

I actually discovered that the filament guide tube holder is the same as for the CB2 (which I could measure, because I have one), and when I used that to scale the image, I got 48.6, so even closer to reality. :-)

Is that the smallest machine of the new lineup, then?

October 18, 2019

mroek mroek
Revered
531 posts

mroek wrote:Is that the smallest machine of the new lineup, then?

Yes, it is.

October 18, 2019

Janos Janos
Admin
558 posts

Ok. Since you did reveal the width of the machine, would it be possible to also know the depth? Is it less than 40 cm? Trying to figure out if I have space for it...

October 18, 2019

mroek mroek
Revered
531 posts

The teaser video shows some more images than the web page, and this image pretty much tells the full story of the motion system:

CraftBot Flow generation

In the back we can see there is a rod spanning the width of the machine, with bearing blocks in the side walls. It has three pulleys, one at each end, and one for the Y-motor, which drives this rod via a belt. We can see the belt from the motor coming up through a hole in the chassis.

The extruders ride on linear rails, and each extruder has its own motor which moves with the Y-axis. Single extruder machines obviously only have one X motor. This whole carriage then rides on rods with linear bearings. The bed is cantilevered, and rides on linear rails as well. A ball screw is used to raise and lower it, just as for the CB3.

In other words, no CoreXY here. The dual belts for Y should hopefully keep the gantry square at all times, but on one of the pictures at the teaser web page, we can see that there is no belt on the pulley at the rear right. I really hope that was just a mistake and the picture was taken of a machine not fully assembled, because there is no way this system can work properly without two belts, in my opinion.

I will also say that a dual extruder setup will make the gantry really heavy, with two steppers and two full extruders, and I am worried that this setup will cause pretty heavy ringing if you try to print at decent speeds. Will be interesting to see and hear this machine printing, and also hopefully close up images of the print results.

The dual extruder machine also has no less than four flex cables. Not an issue in itself, but in general the fewer moving cables the better.

October 19, 2019

mroek mroek
Revered
531 posts

Im still waiting to see when is going to be available

November 5, 2019

Levent Ozigdeci Levent Ozigdeci
Honored
312 posts

Still one most important thing missing pricing im planing to my replace my CB+ first gen to flow one but i need to know how much does it cost and is it worth to upgrade

November 6, 2019

Honored
312 posts

Levent Ozigdeci wrote:Still one most important thing missing pricing im planing to my replace my CB+ first gen to flow one but i need to know how much does it cost and is it worth to upgrade

Prices will be revealed within a week.

November 6, 2019

Janos Janos
Admin
558 posts

Every CraftBot Flow model can be remotely controlled through browser and supervised using its built-in wide lens camera.

CraftBot Flow generation

November 6, 2019

Janos Janos
Admin
558 posts

Janos wrote:Every CraftBot Flow model can be remotely controlled through browser and supervised using its built-in wide lens camera.

CraftBot Flow generation

neat

November 6, 2019

Honored
312 posts

As far as I like the company but unfortunately prices are really high. I know its really good quality but still 2600$ price tag on mostly standart features on 2019-20 i will pass i think i was expecting single extruder and smallest version around 1500$

full auto bed leveling mostly standart on various printers
PEI coated spring metal deattachable bed ı dont think it will cost that much even you have still kapton tape on bed surface.
Full metal extruder are not really unique at this time they are not state of art extruders.

Camera is good thing i can totally pay for that but when ı compare to my First gen CB+ I dont see 2600$ differance sorry I was hopefull on pricing because most of the stuff we ask for it like I did ask linear rails when I start using my CB+ Also cable chain was really problematic which i fixed that issue with correct wires.

Im sorry im little upset because I was prepared to but new printer from CraftUnique

November 8, 2019

Honored
312 posts

With those prices they really need to deliver outstanding products. If you pay that much, a very trouble-free experience is expected. As we all know, the CB3 came with loads of issues when it was first released, so I really hope this new generation has been thoroughly tested.

Where I live we have a VAT of 25%, so even the smallest machine will end up costing a fortune. I'm not going to lie, I'm also slightly disappointed at the pricing.

November 8, 2019

mroek mroek
Revered
531 posts
To start a discussion or reply to a post please Login or Create an account.