I am in need of a larger printer and have been looking at the Flow XL IDEX, I can only find one review on this printer and it’s from a site I have never heard of, so I have questions.
I am not new to 3d printing, this will be my 13th printer (unlucky number I know)
I need a DUAL extruder work horse; I print models with TIGHT tolerance many of which have moving, meshing or geared parts, all printed in place I will be using the second extruder for mostly PVA support.
Out of the box after calibration will the Flow IDEX XL print something like these?

Sample 1
Sample2
Sample3

(Samples only my models belong to my customers so I can't link them)

If the layers are fused together this printer will be of no use to me.
Second question
On large model’s full build plate is it possible to be working on the model with both extruders at the same time? (I am thinking NOT but it doesn’t hurt to ask) I picked up a contract where I have to print 70 nearly full build plate models with eight to nine versions of each.

Third question
I own Prusa, Taz, Monoprice, Ender, Ultimaker they all have plusses and minus, this printer will be ran 24x7 for about eight months once is hits my door to get this contract done, I need to know it can handle it, I would NEVER trust my I3 Mk3 to do this my S5 I would but it isn’t big enough.

May 12, 2020

Joseph Joseph
Beginner
4 posts

5 replies

I have a FLOW IDEX machine and I recommend it very much! I have printed several large parts for my ebike project in weeks, so far without issues. There were a lot of iterations. I will update my post with some photos shot by the camera built into my CB FLOW IDEX.
Maybe one time I had some filament problem from a bad supplier, but that is completely irrelevant. Other than that, this machine is real work horse!

Considering a Flow IDEX XL

May 13, 2020

Bona Fide Bona Fide
Friendly
130 posts

I am going to reconsider this purchase, in the first 9 posts 8 of them are complaining about issues with the very same printer I was going to purchase, sure it is a new printer but I already have 99 problems I don't need my 3d printer to be one.

May 20, 2020

Joseph Joseph
Beginner
4 posts

AFAIK, the forum is uncensored and people will always stop by with their problems and not with their success. Don't not except to have a trouble free 3D printer. I'm using several 3D printers, but neither is as reliable as the Craftbot.
IMHO, what is really matters how the company stands behind its product and the support they provide.
Good luck with your purchase!

May 20, 2020

Bona Fide Bona Fide
Friendly
130 posts

This would be my 13th printer, I understand the learning curve and I didn't make my decision lightly, as I stated I need this to run out of the box once dialed in and keep running for 24x7 to get this contract done. between the lack of reviews, and the what I would consider a large number of people with the same or simular issues it is really giving me pause, and Matterhackers even send me a sample print.

May 20, 2020

Joseph Joseph
Beginner
4 posts

This is an outstanding printer more than capable of running 24/7. I have had mine pumping 24/7 since I got it a few months back. The support from CU is extremely good, I seriously doubt there is a better value for money printer that has as many features as the FLOW.
My CB 3 has over 6,000 hours on it, no issues.

May 23, 2020

Rick38 Rick38
CU employee
1 posts
To start a discussion or reply to a post please Login or Create an account.